Monday, May 06, 2013

From the old country. . .



Photos by Hai Dang
Whenever our "son" Hai Dang goes back to Vietnam for a visit, we ask him to greet someone locally on our behalf, photograph the person, then present a gift from us, telling the person about us and our best wishes for them. We enjoy feeling the connection, and with the difference in the economies and standard of living, you can make a big impact on someone's life for small change. Here's the person Hai chose this time:

Hai emails:
We stopped at a road side cafe two days ago and met this 96-year old while on the way to visit my late brother-in-law's memorial. She has all kinds of old age diseases. She is about 3.5 feet tall. She said she used to be 4.5.  She still helps her family running the road side cafe. My drink was 20 cents. Her cafe makes 5 dollars a day, before expenses. My aunt said her household income is about $30 a month. Really sweet lady. I decided to give your $20 to her.
........... of course I said it is from Stan and Katie from America. She was so touched to receive a gift from people she has never met.. Sorry typing from phone kb and no glassses. I am doing fine. I'll be back in the states next Sunday.
Hai