Saturday, January 28, 2006

We get 'Rolfsruds in Tucson' fan mail


Sandi Pennar Bonesteel, ex Alexandrian, now living in Green Valley AZ, writes:
Am enjoying the reports! I forward the link to the girls (Paula, Claudia, Terrie, Bev K) Good info with a personal touch! Our desert is so unique. I was blown away by Arizona when we first visitied in ''73 and was a "20 year native" of the Phoenix area until we came to southern Arizona in '93.
Then I really got a chance to experience (up close and personal) some of the flora and fauna I had seen only at the Desert Museum. I lived in a pretty rural area at first. The area where we built in '95 had lots of trails nearby and I regularly had "visitors" in my yard. I've had encounters with javelina, coyote, rattlesnakes, bobcats, etc. Unfortunately now this area is becoming over developed and the habitat is disappearing. Daily sightings are rare. Yesterday's Tucson paper had an article on Superstition Mountains. That whole area is worth a visit. My folks lived out there, E. of Apache Jct, in Queen Valley. That was our first visit to Arizona in 73 and we we went home and packed up to move here! The whole state has amazing sites so if you are going to be winter regulars you will always have something to do.

(Pictured is an example of what Sandi is talking about. We came upon this hummingbird in the area of Arizona desert Sandi describes.)