Friday, December 08, 2006

Tacos will have to wait, Virg has more trouble

Virgil, alone now in Tucson, writes to his partners:


Just when I think I have repaired and cleaned everything I need to around the house so I can concentrate on my new business (see photo), more stuff breaks down.

Another light timer is worn out, the batteries on the cart are not working well, and now the water feature is malfunctioning. Don't know exactly what is wrong but it seems to be having trouble pumping water to the top pond.

It drained most of the bottom pond and in the process jammed the filter with debris as the leaves were more likely to flow out as the water went down.

Something similar happened last summer to Barb, but it came back just fine when we got here. Maybe some creature or debris is plugging the pipes. We'll have to put our heads together when you get here to figure this one out if it doesn't just snap to by itself.

I have filled the batteries on the golf cart to their proper level, repaired the charger, etc. after listening to all the old, wise sages that inhabit the area, but the charge life is still only about half of what it should be.

I have had to stop the cart two rounds after 16 holes because the charge is so weak the cart can no longer climb hills. Both times, however, I had to drive it several miles to check in at the pro shop/starter, so it would appear that the cart is capable of going a full round if you do not drive it to check in (they have some weird rules that require a lot of extra driving around to play a round here).

But a normal cart is expected to be able to make two rounds on one charge. We can have the batteries checked, but I suspect we have to purchase new batteries sooner than expected. I would suggest trying to get through this season by driving a car down to the pro shop and starter to check in and only driving the cart for the actual rounds. Then we won't care about the battery condition over the summer.

Once I finally get past these items I can get back to my real work, running my new store. I have heard that there are teeming masses crossing the border and when they get here they are really hungry. I am anticipating big things.

Virg