Sunday, July 22, 2007

Yes Sosie, it isn't Kansas anymore


Garden nymphs cavorted amongst the Karen Rolfsrud Kirmis and Don Kirmis wildflower plantings on the brink of the vast Missouri River basin in western North Dakota.

The vista stretches beyond the river toward Williston near the Montana border. North Dakota is filled with surprises, as noted by sister Solveig Rolfsrud Shearer, a bit of a garden nymph herself, in a posting today:




Click on these images to enlarge.

Sosie writes: [This photo] takes me back to my only trip to western North Dakota and my surprise at all the beautiful vistas and gorgeous wildflowers. I had not imagined there would be hills; I expected flat plains, as in the three states below North Dakota. I expected wheat fields with only an occasional oil derrick. Not so!


The interior of Don and Karen's log cabin reflects the expansiveness of the open country. Colors are taken from the surrounding flora.

A steep drop-off on the east side of the cabin is picturesque as well. It is also the site of a poorly-kept family secret.