Sunday, September 14, 2008

A loving bride writes to her soldier. . .

March 1945

Dear Len,
....
..... Danny and Mary Lou are going to Dorothy Bock's birthday party tomorrow and that means a little present.

The [Lommen] twins have had the chicken pox so I hope my kids don't get it from them. They're over it now because their [quarantine] sign was taken down. Mary Lou and Danny didn't get it last year from the Bocks when they had it, so maybe they're immune from it. I hope so, because I don't want Kathy and Jimmy to get it when they're so young.

Ordered my meat last Tuesday, so that's taken care of.


Well darling, I'm going to close for now and will go up and smoke a cigarette and look out the window at the moon. I wish you were here so I could love you up. Good night and sweet dreams.

Your Florence

(Excerpted from a bushel of letters Kathleen sorted this morning after breakfast. Kathleen's mom and dad exchanged hand-written mail regularly while he served in the Army during World War II.)