Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Harold Flint's nephew drops in

This is a photograph of roommates Harold Flint and Erling Rolfsrud, a couple of slim dandies at Concordia College in Moorhead, taken in the late 1930s or early 1940. Two weeks ago we most serendipitously exchanged emails with Harold's nephew. Thought you'd enjoy.
-----------------------

June 7, 2009

I ran across your web site from The Alex Class of 1965. I'm wondering if you were related to Erling Rolfsrud, a teacher at Central in the 1960s.
Thanks!
Rich Flint
Class of 1969
-----------
Rich,
Yes. That's my Dad. Are you related to Harold Flint? He was one of my Dad's pals at Concordia College in Moorhead. I believe Harold was Glenn Flint's brother. Stan
---------------

Hi Stan!
Yes Indeed; I was Harold's nephew and I am Glenn's son. I remember Harold speaking fondly of your Dad. I believe they were both aspiring writers at the time; and I know my uncle was involved in writing "pulps" with some folks in Chicago. He ended up working for WLS Radio in Chicago at one time.
I have a copy of your Dad's book, "Extraordinary North Dakotans," which I retrieved from my Dad's library when he passed away. I've enjoyed reading it again.
Very nice to meet you again! I remember you now from Junior High. And thanks for the response!
Rich Flint
Littleton, CO
---------------------

Hi Rich,
My wife and I drove through Littleton this spring on our way back from our Tucson winter house to Minnesota. What a nice part of the world you live in, although I remember following an 18-wheeler wide-load downhill and not being able to pass it for a very long time before it blew out its brakes in a smokey mess and had to pull over.
I was sorry for the driver, happy for me. And then we took a wrong turn, missing the interstate bypass and driving right through downtown at about 4 p.m.

Other than that, a lovely part of the world.

I remember Glenn, your father, of course. He was the KCMT general manager and would read the news on Sunday nights. His image on the television would prompt an occasional thought from my Dad about his old pal, Hal.
We could receive Clear Channel WLS Radio, Chicago, at nights in Alexandria. Never knew Harold Flint worked there.

---------------