Saturday, August 29, 2009

Thanksgiving, 1937

Our cousin, (Mom's niece), Faith Brown Cole, responded to our inquiries about Mother's recent memories and observations of her dear ones. The photograph that we posted earlier is indeed Mom's brother Richard Brown holding the child with our Great Grandmother Mary Lincoln Manley Brown, but the other woman is not Faith's mother (Richard's wife Esther) as we initially thought, and Faith would certainly know. Perhaps Esther is taking the picture. Faith's best guess is that the younger woman is Norma Brown Dobson, Mary Lincoln Brown's daughter. We'll gratefully amend our earlier post.

But along the way, Faith sent us the treasure above.
Faith writes: I am sending you a picture of Thanksgiving, 1937 (date is written on back) which has two unidentified women in it. My mother must have taken the picture. I think the people in the picture are, from l to r, Richard Manley Brown, (unknown), Jessie Wendelken Brown, Paul Manley Brown, Dora Foss Isakson, (unknown - could this be great aunt Florence Wendelken?), Frances Dorthy Isakson (Dumpling), Katherine Bonita Brown, and Jessie Beverly Brown.

I am also attaching my parent's engagement picture and Dumpling's eulogy. Dumpling is also known as Frances Dorthy Isakson, 1908-2007 and my mother is Esther Olive Isakson Brown, 1907-1959. I am very glad to get the information on Mary Manley Brown. In my retirement I want to work on family history. I have started a couple of times... Please keep me informed on new findings and I will share with you once I get up to speed.
To what is in common,
Faith
----------------------------
Stan writes:
Sounds like Faith's mother, Esther, was the family photographer. Great that Faith could send us Esther's picture. Thanks, Faith! Mother will certainly enjoy all this as she keeps up with the blog in Alexandria. Yes, that's Mom on the far right. She never uses her first name, preferring Beverly.