Sunday, September 13, 2009

Meet the Parents


There's nothing like a two-tone '55 Buick to make a great first impression.

Our neighbor's daughter dates the golf course superintendent. Today they invited Duane's parents over to meet Jane's folks.
Duane's parents purred up the cul-de-sac on fat whitewalls in an immaculate hardtop, waxy fresh from a classic car show in Stillwater.

In the top photo, you can see Duane (red shirt) with girlfriend Jane on his right. (Unfortunately, Jane is pictured touching the parents' polished fender, a car-show etiquette no-no, but understandable considering all the nervous pressure of the moment.)

Jane's parents are in the middle and Duane's are far left. The young man is Duane's son. The car remained in the cul-de-sac all afternoon and evening so we are assuming that the Meet the Parents event went just fine.

The golf-course superintendent (pictured at left with his mother and son) holds the Stonebrooke course record (64), is an agile point guard, and also has a fine tenor singing voice. So he may not be as good-looking as Jane is, but he's an excellent catch none-the-less.

That's what they're saying around the cul-de-sac at Abbey Point. And the elders know something about these matters.
____________________________
Tom Waits wrote "Ol' 55," one of Stan's favorites:
Well my time went so quickly,
I went lickety-splickly out to my old '55
As I drove away slowly, feeling so holy,
God knows, I was feeling alive.
Now the sun's coming up,
I'm riding with Lady Luck, freeway cars and trucks,
Stars beginning to fade, and I lead the parade
Just a-wishing I'd stayed a little longer,
Oh, Lord, let me tell you that the feeling's getting stronger.
And it's six in the morning, gave me no warning;
I had to be on my way.
Well there's trucks all a-passing me, and the lights are all flashing,
I'm on my way home from your place.