Sunday, June 13, 2010

Finally, a full report from Nisswa!

Hello Mom and Stan!
I see from the blog you did a little digging on the Stamman and found some of the acts and info. We did in fact see and listen to  O.O.O.O (The way they pronounced it was O.... O.... O..... O.........., as in I just stubbed my toe, sort of way) and they were fantastic! Yet it would be impossible to say that any of the acts were less than that. Here is the breakdown of the weekend, some photos and what you need to know for planning your trip up here next year! The dates for next year's Nisswa Stamman will be June 10th and 11th. (Get your hotel booked early!)

My weekend started on Friday when I went to help set up chairs for the Friday night concert. This is put on at the Lutheran Church of the Cross, and it is great as they have a beautiful space with wonderful acoustics. It is a preview of many of the acts that will play the next day. It costs $15. (free for me as I was a volunteer.) This fills up so if you want to attend and get a good seat, get there at 6 pm. It officially starts at 7 pm, yet there are musicians playing while people are being seated so people come early. The Norwegians started coming at 5:30!



After the concert everyone goes to the Nisswa Legion for an Old Tyme dance and there many of the acts play again and there is music and dancing until 1 am. I was lucky enough to find Henry, a lovely dancer, who was willing to dance with me, more than once, even though I didn't know the steps.




The next morning, there is a musical parade at 10 am. All the musicians walk from the South end of Nisswa up the sidewalk and the Paul Bunyan Trail ending at Nisswa's Pioneer Village, the perfect spot for this festival! There they have food, drink, tee-shirts, music and dancing, and music and dancing, and dancing and music. The musical acts this year came from Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Norway, and good ol' USA. There were 105 performers. I was supported by many in my opinion that the Polka Chicks from Finland stole the show, as they were extremely talented, very funny and had the showmanship that will, I'm sure, take them far in the musical world. (They also dedicated a song to Joe and me, since we bought them a pizza when they were hungry!) The other act that stood out for me was Faerd who claimed two Danes and a Swede as their slogan. (I bought both of their CD's so I will play them for you when I see you next.)

While at the festival, I walked around with Joe, met up with my new co-worker Jesse from the Crow Wing Food Co-op and her son Patton (pronounced Pay-ton). I hugged Joe's aunt, Ilene, who was volunteering at the gate, ate some some yummy mushroom soup and great lefse rolled up with butter and sugar, found another willing dance partner, worked the information booth, sold t-shirts and made many new friends. You'll notice some umbrellas and raincoats, but we got pretty lucky and it only really sprinkled for the last few hours of the festival.

After the festival, there is a smorgasbord. The price is $15. I know you know what's on the menu, and if you post this in your blog, I know all your readers know too, so I won't bother to list the items. ;)  Being a vegetarian, I opted out and so was the perfect person to sell the rest of the Stamman t-shirts and gear in the hallway!

And if you're thinking it was over after the food. NO! Not with all these musicians in town! It was back to the Legion again for another Oldtime Dance.

For many, that was the end. But since I was smart, and volunteered, I got invited to go to the more personal "volunteers and musicians thank you brunch and party" hosted by Don and Mary Ann Bennett. They actually host many of the musicians during their stay. They live in a big house on a lake and so there were musicians all over, playing and eating and talking and wringing out the last of the weekend.

Wow!!! What a weekend! So much fun!
Let me if you want to know about anything I may have forgotten to mention.
I Love You Both!!
xo Jennifer