Thursday, January 13, 2011

This could be it. . .

After Mom sang Stan the Scottish song (see the post below), Stan called her back to see if he could get some words from the song to Google and find out exactly what it was. When he called his mother back, she couldn't remember a single word of it. We laughed about how common this is, when you WANT to remember something, you can't.

Anyway, sister Solveig had a subsequent visit with Mom and somehow got a string of words long enough to spring something from Mr. Google. Here is a result of Sosie's search. You can do the same if you'd like versions of it. She's not sure it is the one, we can confirm that later when we open Grandpa's song book.

Far from home I wander, but still my thoughts return,
To my own folks over yonder, in the little barn by the valley.

As we look over the words, we imagine our grandfather leading hundreds of uniformed Scotsmen singing a chorus about their homeland as "joy and sadness mingles."

My Ain Folk
Far frae my hame I wander, but still my thoughts return
To my ain folk ower yonder, in the shieling by the burn.
I see the cosy ingle, and the mist abune the brae:
And joy and sadness mingle, as I list some auld-warld lay.

Chorus
And it's oh! but I'm longing for my ain folk,
Tho' they be but lowly, puir and plain folk:
I am far beyond the sea, but my heart will ever be
At home in dear auld Scotland, wi' my ain folk.
O' their absent ane they're telling, the auld folk by the fire:
And I mark the swift tears welling, as the ruddy flame leaps high'r.
How the mither wad caress me, were I but by her side:
Now she prays that Heav'n will bless me, tho' the stormy seas divide.

(Meaning of unusual words:
shieling=hut used by people looking after animals high in the hills.
ingle=fireside
abune=above
brae=hillside
auld-warld=old world)