Sunday, January 23, 2011

Wayne & MaryAnn's Japanese guest report


The Obamas entertained Asian guests from China; our International Falls friends, Wayne and MaryAnn, entertained Asian guests as well, from Japan. . . on the coldest weekend of the year so far. Here's Wayne's report:
Stan & Kathleen,
Last night we entertained my nephew Jeff, his girlfriend and her parents. The parents flew in from Japan last Tuesday. There were nine of us with one interpreter. The guests of honor finished their plate of roasted and fried (marinated) venison and hot dish. Salad and wild rice soup preceded the main course. The cherry scoop of sherbet with a wafer was also a new experience, they said. We think they liked the food but Japanese are so polite we may never know.

Left to right  starting with head of the table.
Misao (mother of Kumi from Japan), Kumi (daughter now living in Vancouver, B.C), Jeff (our nephew from Vancouver), Ichiro (father of Kumi from Japan), Andy (brother in law from Ranier), Laurie (Sister from Ranier), Jeremy (son of Laurie and Andy from Alaska).  Hostess MaryAnn is standing behind Ichiro. (Photo by Wayne)
The discussion was about the weather and culture. The mother thought it interesting that the Man of the House cooked. Although MaryAnn did much of the preparations, they noticed my presence in the kitchen. We had much fun telling them who really rules the roost in this country.
We also talked about how we fix everything ourselves. They were in awe when they learned that MaryAnn fixes toilets, etc. And laughed when I told them that I will call someone AFTER I fix something.
My brother-in-law and I asked several questions about the women's roles in their culture. We told them at the end of the evening that somehow the men of Japan got it right and we didn't.
We talked (communicated) for several hours, but didn't cover as many topics as I would have liked.
On their way out the door there were hugs from my nephew and his Japanese girlfriend and another discussion on how hugs are not part of Japanese culture. She (Kumi) has never hugged her father. 
I had to restrain myself to not give him a big hug.
The last thing I did do was hand her mother (Misau) the dog leash to rein in the husband (Ichiro) for the two block walk to where they stayed in Ranier. She got the message, looked at him laughing, took a step toward him and he scampered out the door.
 They all fly out of the Falls to Vancouver on Monday for another week with the daughter. My nephew will get back to his upholstery shop.
Well, MaryAnn is up, the dog wants out and I need to check my lottery ticket. If I win, I'm off to Japan.
Wayne