Thursday, November 17, 2011

Today's spam brought this. . .

The following note supposedly came from a good friend of mine, (I won't say who it is because he's probably embarrassed, poor guy) who apparently has had his email list hacked and some miscreant is hoping to scam his friends.

Hi
Hope you get this on time. I am writing you in a tensed mood and urgently require your kind aid soon. Yesterday I made an unannounced trip to London, United Kingdom for a program. Unfortunately for me, I got mugged at gun point last night on my way to the hotel where I booked. They went away with all I had including my wallet where I have all my cash and credit card and also my cell phone. I wasn't injured because I quickly complied.

My traveling documents are been apprehended by the hotel management because of my inability to settle bills. I am confused and so full of panic right now. For now, I do not have a phone where I can be reached. All I have got here is my mail. I also have limited access to the computer.Please I need you to kindly loan me about (1,480 Pounds) which is approximately $2,379 USD to sort-out my hotel bills and other expenses incurred here and get back home soon as I do not feel safe here any more. I Promise to reimburse immediately on my return. I will explain full details to you when I get back. Let me know if you can be of any help soon because you are the only person i can reach at this moment and the next flight back home departs in about 2 days. Hope I can count on you.

Regards
------------------
Everything in the email looks totally authentic, including his usual signature block giving his home phone, etc. The only give-a-way is a very slight modification to his email address. If you hit reply it goes to firstname.lastname@aol.com, not firstnamelastname@aol.com which is his true address. Inserting that dot makes all the difference. Bastards.