Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Our house guest continues around the world

We don't know how this picture was made either. It's Alim, so anything is possible.
The Asian traveler we taught to swing a golf club while he was visiting Shakopee, Minnesota, continues on his round the world trek, greeting us today from Capetown, South Africa. When Alim spent a long weekend with us last July, we were a bit incredulous when he said he was going to return to his Malayasia hometown by land, stopping along the way to earn some money as a systems engineer to cover expenses.
Since then, he hopped from South America to Africa (his only flight) and sends his regards and a ton of beautiful photographs of his experiences there. We're amazed at the courage, single-mindedness and sensitivity of this modern Marco Polo and were privileged to be a part of his epic journey.
He sends along his impressions of South Africa, a complicated nation still very much in transition.  The multi-linguist writes:
People are generally nice, regardless of whites, blacks, Asians, Latinos, colored because we are all the same biologically. I love every single person I have met on this trip. They all my friends.
Some of my travel mates enjoyed and had great time in Africa. I am still hopeful Africa can “blow-off” my mind and give something good and memorable until I reach Cairo.
Please enjoy the amazing shots I have taken while visiting lovely South Africa.
Click here.
Alim,
Johannesburg, South Africa
------------------------------------------
God speed, Alim. We've never met another like you.
Cape Town