Thursday, August 09, 2012

Seeking old Roundup Gang photos

Back in 2008 we wrote a story about Mom's famous neighbor at her assisted living facility in Alexandria. Ardis Wells lives down the hall from Mom, and from time to time we get inquiries about Ardis. We've only interviewed her once, but she's a cool lady and we're happy to pass on this inquiry from today's mailbag. Can you help Elizabeth?
Ardis Wells

Hi. I came across your blog today at Rolfsruds & Friends. I was searching “Jimmy and Ardis Wells and The Roundup Gang (Jimmy’s band). My father (actually step father but dad to me) played the steel guitar in the band. Ardis Wells attended my Dad’s 70th birthday (he is now 84). Dad lives in Brooklyn Park MN.

I have a B&W photo that my brother snagged off the internet of the band but we would love to find more photos. This morning my brother was able to buy a nice photo off of Ebay of The Roundup Gang. My dad used to have the same photo hanging up in his home. He also played steel guitar for other bands and big name country singers. (You might check out the songs “Careless Fool” and “Cry Baby Cry” by Dave Dudley on Youtube…my dad played steel guitar for both songs, and played for some other bigger names like Buck Owens, Roy Clark, Rex Allen, and we think he may have even played early on with the Everly Bros before they became a big name but we are not sure, still trying to confirm this.)

When you met Ardis in Alexandria, did you happen to acquire any photos of her with The Roundup Gang? I saw the pic in the video on your blog but she appears with only women. Jimmy Wells and my dad were in the band but not in that particular picture. We are wanting to find pictures of the band that include both Jimmy and my Dad.

Thank you very much.

Elizabeth Auppl
Owatonna MN

(Laskowski is my dad’s last name.)