Monday, September 24, 2012

Personal note. . .

Personal note to Dan Martin who moved to Grants Pass, Oregon, a year and a half ago and hardly ever writes anymore:
Danny Boy:
Despairing of ever seeing or hearing from you again, I drank the last dram from your fifth of Old Pulteney, the treasured 17-year-old single malt you entrusted to me for storage and safekeeping. Let me assure you, whatever you paid for this premium bottle of vintage spirits, it was well worth the investment.
Produced in 1992 in the harbor town of Wick in the far northeast corner of Scotland, it had the distinctive and evocative spirit one would expect from this most northerly of mainland distilleries. I sipped it without ice and at room temperature, the better to expose its delicate, mineral-based spiciness.
Please know that throughout, your memory remained foremost, to the very last drop. Your name was often and fondly invoked.
So thank you kindly my lad, please advise on what to do with  your empty.
Faithfully yours,
Stanley
(As we await your return, I will continue to closely guard your collection of vintage Glenmorangie, Balvenie and Aberlor.)