Friday, April 12, 2013

Winter, by Cousin Larry


Today's snowy weather comes shortly after we received this inquiry about a couple of our cousin Larry Veeder's lovely paintings of winter settings. These paintings were purchased in the 80s, held and cherished by an art collector who has since passed on. It's an interesting note reflecting the value of art in our lives.
The note reads:
My name is Dale Sxxxx, I live near Sacramento, California. I just returned from Minneapolis on Monday, where I'm the Executor of my Aunt Dolores' estate. (Dee was my dad's sister, dad was born in St. Paul, but settled in California after WW2.) Aunt Dee passed away in January; she had quite a bit of art, most by Minnesota artists dating from the 1960's to 1980's. Dee and her husband operated an art gallery in the 60's; but she also retired as President & CEO of the Minneapolis Telco Credit Union (now Topline CU).
Attached are close-up photos of two acrylic paintings by Larry Veeder which Dolores bought at Zonta art auctions, the first in 1981 for $150 [I'm not sure of it's name, could it be 'January Trail'?, I saw that title in another area of her files], the second - titled: 'Morning Light' was bought in 1983 for $250. Aunt Dee cherished these paintings for 30 years; you can tell by the photos that they were hung prominently and lit with art lights. The prospective buyer of her condo is interested in buying both paintings and I'm trying to establish a current market value. Any help you can give in determining their value will be greatly appreciated. (I was only in town for 6 days and didn't have time to get anyone to appraise them.)
-------
Cool. We passed on cousin Larry's email address. Aren't the paintings great? They're hard to see in these low quality phone photos, but you get a feel for them. They're so winterish, so Minnesota... especially right now.