Friday, November 22, 2013

We've got your buck, Wayne

A note has arrived from the northern wilderness where retired International Falls Daily Journal publisher Wayne Kasich has spent the last week up a tree, to no avail. Normally, at this time of the year we would be featuring a photograph of a fine buck harvested by our intrepid friend and outdoorsman.
So far, no deer, no photo. . . just an explanation of sorts. Read on:

Hey Stan,
Three years ago Wayne produced this
record-setting specimen. So far this year, nothing.
Just returned on Tuesday from ten days deer hunting [with friends]. MaryAnn and I are now going to our shack which is a couple miles down the same road. She spent some time there with a friend while I was hunting.
[Our group] managed to bag six deer in spite of the deer count being down with the nasty spring.
I spent over 50 hours in my stand without seeing one this year. I have been on a streak of scoring a buck each year since being retired. But it ain't over. I will hunt a few hours a day on this trip also. My stand is the same distance from either shack.
Was looking at your blog to get caught up. Very cool timbers and workmanship in those old buildings.
I finished all major projects: decks, sauna, ramps etc at our shack and MaryAnn has photos but has to figure out ICloud to retrieve and send them to me.
How about those football Gophers!
Wayne

Dear Wayne,
I may have an explanation.
I just heard tonight that Jim, the long-time newspaper controller we worked with for many years, was driving up to International Falls on business yesterday when he had an unfortunate mishap on the long Highway through the woods, which seriously damaged his beautiful new car. Fortunately, Jim wasn't injured.
I don't know how to tell you this, Wayne, but I think Jim got your buck.