Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Roughneck

With a stretch of warm weather on the horizon, our landscape crews fired up the leaf blowers and started the annual spring cleanup. . . setting the stage for what may be the biggest coincidence of the year so far.
Meet Al Cardwell. "I'm glad to get back into this line work," he smiled after introducing himself today, "I've been working on an oil rig the past five years."
"Oh yeah? North Dakota?
"Yup"
"I have family near Watford City."
"Watford? You're from Watford? I know Watford City. I drilled in the Keene area."
"You're kidding.  I'm not from Watford, actually. I'm from Minnesota. I have cousins in Keene, but it is such a small town I didn't think you'd know the name. I used to work on their farm during summers."
"Are you kidding? I know Keene like the back of my hand."
And so began an animated conversation about the Rolfsrud Ranch, Demmick Lake, and other western North Dakota landmarks over the Bakken Shale.
No, Al didn't drill on Grandma and Grandpa's land, somebody else did. . . but he could have. He knows about the bitter winters, the crowds and traffic jams, and having his rig shot at by locals not happy with the intrusions brought by the oil companies.
Yeah, small world, we agreed, as he fired up the leaf blower again.