Monday, June 06, 2016

Sosie's foxes

Stan's sister Solveig writes from Sunol, CA,
Late this afternoon, I got video of the Fox family cavorting on our patio. I tried to tiptoe out onto the deck to get a cleaner view, but Mother Fox heard me from under the deck and would not have it. She screamed at me as she had yesterday. She's a good mother, but she is way rude to me. Her scream is like a high-pitched barking dog with a really sore throat.
Later, the family came back out and I got this snap (above).
Suddenly Mother Fox heard something and lightly jumped up the hill and onto Bill's stone wall for a look and listen. She waited and watched and the three kits went back under the deck, as though knowing they had lost her close protection.
Then she was off further up the hill and I thought she had joined Father Fox. But as I quietly approached the woods, I saw that the second animal was a young raccoon. Hmmmm. How do fox and raccoon socialize?
Tomorrow, we learn more tomorrow. Always more tomorrow.
Solveig