Sunday, August 27, 2023

Lorlee's First Day



One of the wonders of old age is that somehow, often certain memories sharpen while others fade. Sort of a reshuffling and arranging of limited space. So it was a true gift when my first grade country school classmate, Lorlee Bartos, shared a poem, pulled from her memory, and written down for her poetry group. It is a fine example of memories kept and reused, a shared remembrance that I shall cherish. Thanks Lorlee!


FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL


Excited and dressed

in my first day finery

hair in curls

a masterful  achievement 

for pin straight hair


Greeted  with 

My, we have a big class--

seven first graders

Carol, Darrell, Stanley, Larry,

Marlow, Alan and me

the first wave of Baby Boomers


Let’s all print our names

on this piece of paper

Why look how Stanley has done it

Isn’t that nice


Stanley obviously had better older siblings

he had mastered  

upper and lower case


Despite going on to scholastic glory

I could only print my name

in all capitals


Which I sensed was somehow inferior


__________________________


(In photo above years later, Lorlee and Stanley sat side by side in the back row for the annual school picture. Lorlee graduated high school with top honors, Stanley not so much.)