Monday, January 16, 2006

Plate tektonics

Inheritor clears up history:
Tells of Godmother, lessons
Sosie writes from Sunol, CA: Love your new Rolfsrud blog, have bookmarked it and look forward to seeing larger pictures of Rolf the Roadrunner. (Not from Venus, looks the part, must be male.)

About the plates, as their official inheritor, I feel compelled to correct your recording of their travels. It’s Norway, Minnesota, Colorado, Minnesota, Arizona. [See post below]

My godmother, Molly Baker, librarian from Zumbrota, Minnesota, purchased the plates in Norway and gave them to Dad as a gift. He bequeathed them to me since Molly was my godmother. Linda borrowed them to use as lecture props for her fourth grade class. Linda then returned them to Minnesota, from where they now embark for Arizona.

Mid-50s, all jingly, jangly
The plates probably date from the mid 50s when Molly Baker was our houseguest. I remember sitting in the dining/devotional room when we were told there would be A Great Surprise. We waited patiently. Finally, from the top of the stairs came an announcement, and I remember scurrying over to see. Down the stairs came Molly with a big grin on her face and looking absolutely ridiculous in her full Norwegian bunad, all jingly, jangly with silvery solje.

Giddy with the excitement of the moment, I burst out laughing. I have not forgotten the response. “Shame On You Sol Veig! How would you like it if you wore your very best clothes and someone laughed at you?” I said I was sorry and tried to imitate the more mannerly in our family by repeating “Very pretty, very pretty,” but my laughter hung heavy over my head.

Since then, I never laugh at people’s clothes and challenge myself instead to say something nice in a sincere voice, but still Lutheran true, even it is only “What a great color your (ugly) pants are!” or “Don’t you look special today!” I have apparently succeeded for many people in my life seem encouraged to persist in wearing “highly unusual” or “ really interesting” clothes that “perfectly match their eyes/hair” from the time it is “something new?” to when it is “wonderfully comfortable looking.”