Thursday, August 26, 2010

Oak Grove Country School, District 24, October 1951

Six grades of country kids taught by Neva Barsness, who is standing by the piano in the back. There are two Rolfsrud girls in the photo. The one in the center with the Dutch Girl hairdo is Rebecca. Is that Linda midway in the first row of desks? Who else? See if you can identify all these 60 somethings. (Click to enlarge photo)
LuAnn Bartos writes:
Hello Stan...... 
Lorlee sent notice that the photo was on your family website. I also have this same photo, at the time I went to the county school #24, there was just six grades. I then went to "town school" after that for seventh and eighth grade. Duane was one year behind me. He went to seventh grade in Alex. THEN the country schools had to educate their students thru eighth grade, so Duane went back to #24 for eighth grade.
I am looking forward to a country school reunion. Anne Hiebel Tatum knows where many of the former pupils are living so we should start a contact list. Anne Marie was a year ahead of me.
Before next year, I plan to go to the Dounglas County Historical Society. They have some information online, but there is more there that is not online. It did say that #24 started in 1869. 1970 was the end of the country schools, so #24 was in existence for a hundred years!
Thanks for posting.......
LuAnn Bartos Schrader......