Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Group hug with Bobby Vee

Photo by Stan Rolfsrud
Squished into this group hug with Bobby Vee is Kathleen Rolfsrud, far right.
It had been more than 20 years since Bobby Vee had been thrust into stardom that memorable night in February of 1959, but the businesswomen in our party lit up like teeny-boppers.

The group of professionals was meeting at the Harvest Valley Supper Club in Shakopee in 1981 when word got out that the rock 'n roll idol was in the building. They had grown up with "Take Good Care of My Baby," "Run to Him." "Rubber Ball," ''The Night Has A Thousand Eyes," ''Devil or Angel," ''Come Back When You Grow Up," ''Please Don't Ask About Barbara" and "Punish Her."

This was their chance for something up close and personal with an honest-to-goodness icon. They made the most of the opportunity, eventually cornering the star in a banquet room. He loved the attention, he showed it and gave back all the time they wanted.

We found this photo today in an envelope labeled “1980s Memorabilia”. It shows Stan’s live-wire newspaper colleagues, Vicky, Phyllis, and Ida along with his new wife, Kathleen. (She’s the one on the far right.) After laughing and talking leisurely that spring evening, it was time to take a picture. The newspaper camera had black and white film, of course. “Let’s act like a bunch of screaming teenagers,” someone suggested. Bobby was more than happy to comply and here’s the result, truly a memorable moment with a really classy guy.


Bobby Vee, who had 38 Top 40 hits in the late 1950s and early 1960s, died Monday morning from complications of Alzheimer’s disease. He was 73.

Vee had been in hospice care at a memory care facility in Rogers, Minnesota, where he spent the last 13 months of his life, according to the St. Cloud Times.

Born Robert Thomas Velline on April 30, 1943, the singer got his big break at the age of 15 as the result of a tragic incident that rocked the music world. He was recruited to fill in for Buddy Holly on Feb. 4, 1959, the night after the rock legend died in a plane crash with Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper, an event known as “the day the music died.”

Velline and his band, the Shadows, were hired because they knew Holly’s tunes.

---Huffington Post

No comments: