Friday, June 23, 2023

The Road Not Taken

Contemplation station. Triker has paused and parked along Staring Lake.

Whenever taking the 2.3 mile nature trail around Staring Lake in Eden Prairie, I can’t help think of my old friend Tom Lapic. He was my Chanhassen Villager editor back in 1990, and I think the most unique ever.


If ever he had an issue that we needed to talk over, he’d suggest a nice long hike around this convenient lake, the perfect size to work out most any problem.


He was a 30-something, junk-food vegetarian bachelor at the time, a failed priest (sorta, I teased), a tree-hugger, and, gasp, a proud liberal when radio-talk was systematically vilifying that word. In short, a very interesting character, who was aware of his unique viewpoints and conscientiously strove to find a balance in the newspaper for his conservative, white, suburban audience, who came to respect his honesty, fairness, and diligence.


I was happy for him and impressed when U.S. Sen. Paul Wellstone asked him to come to work for him. Tom asked me what he should do, as we rounded our lake, and though secretly I wanted him to stay, I had to advise him to follow this opportunity and make the most of it. He did. Until, as many of you know, Tom was killed in a 2002 campaign plane crash with his boss, near Eveleth, Minnesota.


He had lousy feet, and his dogs were barking that day. So we took a fork in the trail, one less traveled, that shortened our usual distance, made it easier. And our problem solving was over for the day any way.


Today, thinking of the road not travelled and such, I wondered, had he not chosen a different career path that day, would we still be taking that nature trail and working out problems, enjoying the magnificent passage around Staring Lake?


I know. I know. But I can’t help it. I do miss the man.