Saturday, June 24, 2023

What Is It? What's it Called? Name it.


There’s something about a plant that makes you want to name it. We enjoy looking at flowers, magnificent displays, but invariably someone will ask. What is it?

Okay, I’m one of those who will ask the question, be told a name, then promptly forget it, asking the same question again when it is seen again.


No more.  This morning I downloaded a free plant identifier app, Plantnet, goofed around with it for a while, and now I am prepared to answer the floral question: What is it?


You may already have the same app, or perhaps you’re a lucky sort that can remember the names of the flora that abounds around us. Or maybe you don’t care, or don’t need to name. Whatever.


Anyway, while biking around the pond today, I noticed again the very common plant I see every where. Ditches, pathways, meadows. I always thought it looked like alfalfa, ready for its first cutting. 


To confirm it, I pulled over today under a huge elm (?) and took a picture of this weed? ground cover? alfalfa hay? Since I was out of range of any wifi connection, I just stored a picture for future identification.


What is it? It's not alfalfa.


It's Crownvetch. Purple crown vetch. Coronilla Varia L.



Anybody name this tree?


Postscript from Wikipedia:


Crownvetch has been identified as an invasive in several midwestern states. It is very hard to eradicate once established.[8]

It is also a common host-plant for the moth.